This is What Once-in-a-Lifetime Looks Like
Imagine the anticipation as you wait to take the field for the performance of your life. After five days in sunny Florida, rehearsing and learning from the nation’s best marching directors, making new friends, and enjoying your exciting destination, the big moment has arrived. The All Star Invitational Marching Band is the only program that brings together select students for this amazing opportunity – the chance to perform at the Orange Bowl!
When you join us in Florida for two performances at the Orange Bowl, you’ll experience five unforgettable days filled with exciting learning opportunities. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Work with legendary marching band directors from the nation’s best marching band programs, including Dr. Ken Dye (Notre Dame), Barry Bernhardt (Florida International University), Jim Hudson (Arizona State University), and more*
- Meet and interact with other All Stars from around the country
- Showcase your talent at one of the biggest college football games of the year
- Play in the exclusive All Star Invitational Marching Band performance
- Perform during halftime for nearly 75,000 fans
- Take part in additional performance opportunities, which have in the part included activities such as marching in the Jr. Orange Bowl parade
- Rehearse for the combined band halftime show with fellow performers and many acclaimed music directors
- Participate in a professional Music Leadership Seminar
- See yourself on the big screen, experience sunny Florida, and celebrate at an exclusive All Star social
- Earn free academic credit through our Discovery for Credit program
How to Participate
Participation is open to students who will be in grades 9-12 during the 2013-2014 school year. Students will be invited to apply beginning in spring 2013. The All Star Invitational Marching Band accepts instrumental students, color guard, and twirlers. All individuals applying to participate in the All Star Invitational Marching Band must submit a complete application, including an audition video.
Nominations and Self-Nominations
In most cases, qualified students are invited to apply for participation after having been nominated by a music director familiar with their accomplishments. Given that not all directors are aware of the opportunity to nominate, students are also given the opportunity to self-nominate and apply. Students who wish to self-nominate must additionally include a teacher recommendation (form is provided in the application) as part of their application submission.
All applications must include the following components*:
- Complete Application Form, signed by applicant and guardian
- Complete Performing Biography Form
- Audition DVD (or posted recording, such as on YouTube)
- A $295 participation deposit (the full deposit amount, minus the $10 application fee, is refunded if not selected. Once accepted, the deposit becomes non-refundable.)
* Application materials will not be returned
Applicants should submit all materials using the paper application available on the program website by July 15, 2013 to be eligible for first round review. Applications will not be considered until all required pieces are received. If an applicant fails to submit any required portion, the deposit will not be refunded.
Instruments and Sections
The 2014 All Star Invitational Marching Band plans to include the following: flute; piccolo; clarinet; bass clarinet; alto,tenor, and baritone saxophone; trumpet; mellophone; sousaphone; baritone; trombone; bass trombone; tuba; percussion (snare, tenors, bass, cymbals, vibes, marimba); color guard; and twirlers. The repertoire for the 2014 program will determine final instrumentation has not been assigned. Should a student apply for a part that is not utilized, a full refund will be issued.
Evaluation Process and Selection of All Stars
The evaluation and selection process is designed to ensure that talented marching students are recognized and offered the opportunity to participate. The process runs as follows:
- Applicants submit a complete application and audition video(s). Self-nominating students must also submit an additional teacher recommendation.
- All applications are reviewed by an expert board of music professionals for final selection. Parts are assigned based upon audition score ranking.
- All applicants will be notified of their application status by October 1, 2013.
- In the case that a selected All Star is unable to attend, the next highest scoring qualified candidate will be offered the opportunity to participate.
Scholarships and Fundraising
The All Star Invitational Marching Band is dedicated to bringing together talented performers. Need-based, partial scholarships are available to ensure that all performers are able to experience this unique performance opportunity. Please call 1-855-803-3334 for more information.
Gift of Performance E-Card
Our Gift of Performance E-Card is our most successful fundraising tool. Requesting donations is easy with our electronic cards. Enter the requested email information and send! Those closest to you will enjoy their special e-greeting and the opportunity to be a part of your unforgettable experience! Many students have raised their entire trip cost with this fundraiser alone.